Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Christmas Story


The Christmas break was great. I got to spend a lot of time with my family, extended family, and friends. This is my first day back at work and I already miss my wife and kids. You bond quite a bit when you are together for 11 days. The fact that I didn't post once should let you know that my mind wasn't on current events.


One thing that I realized this holiday while I was watching the "A Christmas Story" marathon on TBS is that I have gotten older and my dynamics have changed. I watched that movie for all my life from Ralphie's perspective. The one big gift, the anticipation of Christmas day, and then Christmas morning, scene of presents and wrapping paper under the tree. One of my favorites is the stocking because those didn't get stuffed until we were in bed. At the end of the movie, Ralphie's Mom and Dad sit together in front of the window in their dark living room, lit only by the Christmas tree lights and the moonlight reflecting off of the falling snow. This Christmas eve, I realized that I am now Ralphie's parents. I see and experience things from their perspective. My joy comes from my children and I want things to be right for their experience and their memories. I get my enjoyment from being a spectator in theirs.


I think this might be a new guide post in getting older.

No comments: