Monday, March 17, 2008

1989 Chevy S-10 xlt Tahoe Pick-up truck


I love my truck. It is almost 20 years old, but I have only had it for 1 year and 17 days. I got it free from somebody at my church. They had this truck and were looking to sell or donate it. On New Year's day, they called me and asked if I wanted it because my car was out of commission. It was an answer to prayers. I thankfully accepted this vehicle and have had it since. Now this truck didn't come in mint condition; rather, quite the opposite. I affectionately call it "Storm Chaser" because of the numerous chips and dings and rust in the body. The front bumper was not attached but we got it back on (who says you can't drill through chrome). The turn signal was out, but we rigged a new one that would at least pass inspection. Additionally, the AC doesn't work, the odometer is stuck at 179k miles, the automatic window switches are broken so you have to stick your finger nail in the gap to raise and lower the window. The rubber trim around the door has fallen off, and the final one that gives it the best character is that the windshield wipers go off every 15 seconds (something I am now used to). It was a free answer to prayers and is consistent with keeping me humble (you can't pull into a lot full of BMWs and Lexus' and feel otherwise). It is paid off and it gets me to where I need to be, so I enjoy every ride more than if I was in a brand new car.
On Friday, I discovered a new benefit to having a car such as this. I was at a stop on a street waiting for a car to pull into the drive way. It was pretty foggy outside. I was getting ready to go when CRASH! I was jolted forward in my seat. After the bewilderment of "I just got hit by a car" passes you, I drove to the next drive way and got out to inspect the damage. I looked at my rear bumper that was slightly dented, with some paint smudges and a piece of the other car stuck in it, then I looked at the little red truck that hit me, headlight busted out, grill damaged, bumper hanging. A kid gets out of his car with a look of shock and remorse on his face. He immediately apologized. I told him that it looked like his truck just bounced of mine and that I was good to go. I mean, I really wouldn't be able to tell you what damage was new or old. So thanks to the blessing of this truck, I was able to extend grace to this kid and just drive away without even getting the slightest bent out of shape. The biggest problem this kid will have, aside from the damage he sustained, will be trying to convince his parents that I really did drive away with a smile and a hand shake. The only thing missing from this exchange would have been me telling the kid I've had this bumper for ages and I was looking for an excuse to get it fixed (National Lampoon's European Vacation). Thank you God for my truck.

1 comment:

Kristin Michelle said...

that was very nice Scott!
i have an old "beater" car too and i love it!