Saturday, March 8, 2008

Farewell Idstein.

I have returned from Germany. It was sad when I left my town for the last time, but boy was I excited to see my family again. I got to Frankfurt and the nice folks at my office called ahead and had someone ready to wheel me through the airport. Don't get me wrong, I can walk, but they knew it was going to be a long long walk and a lot of standing up to get through security. A golf cart drove me through security and I had no trouble getting through. My day begin at 12 AM central time. My flight left Frankfut at 10 AM KC time. The flight was 9 hours long. It is bad enough to sit that long when you are healthy, but nursing a swollen ankle was very hard. I arrived at Dulles airport at 7PM central time. Now, having only heard german for 2 weeks, and having only used German for small talk, questions, and short answers, my mind did not immediately transition to English. It was very unexpected, though the Germans I worked with spoke much better English than did many at the airport. When the currency exchange operator spoke to me, I had to wait a minute before I responded. My next flight left to KC at 9pm central time. The flight was over two hours long and I got back to KC after 11:30 PM. I got home at 10 minutes until 1 AM Central time. It was a 25 hour day, and I didn't sleep that whole time so that I would be able to sleep when I got home. I was so excited to see my wife (the kids were all in bed). It was like a dream. I slept for about 6 hours and then the kids were up. They were very excited as I was to have the whole family reunited. Max kept staring at me and smiling and hugging me (in his head I could tell that he was saying...oh yeah, this is my daddy whom I love). Kynzie was very affectionate and Delainey was also excited. Aside from being very tired, things have transitioned very quickly. We are all back to normal. Also some good news. I have sold the car that has been sitting in my drive way for 1.5 years to one of my neighbors. I'll be happy to have that thing gone.

4 comments:

Kristin Michelle said...

there is no place like home!

glad you made it back safely!

Troy said...

Everyone missed you - but your son really missed you!

zackzilla said...

Reading your blogs, I can't tell if you had a good time or not. Aside from the ankle, was it really that bad?

jrchaard said...

I would live there if I could