Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pit Bulls: Why Are They So Darn Cute


Why is it that people seem to love these most savage and dangerous dogs. I realize that a dog is only as good as its owner. I also realize that for every Pit bull attack story, there is some Pit bull story where it saved little johnny from the storm drain or something like that. Dogs as a whole have an unpredictable nature. They have been man's friend for as long as we know, but each dog is capable of an uncalculated attack. I'm sure the statistics show that you are more likely to be bitten by a dog under 15 pounds than by one over 30 pounds, but when is the last time you heard about a pack of Yorkshire terriers pulling somebody off a tractor while they are mowing a vacant lot and eating them alive. I have been bitten by a dog. It was some sort of terrier mix about 20 pounds in size. He bit my leg on my knew and left several painful puncture wounds. I was able to leave the incident with nothing more than some blood and a tetanus shot. What goes through my head all the time is what if that had been a Pit bull. Pit bulls that have one of the most powerful bites in the animal kingdom.

A dog like a pit bull as a different scale of hostility than most dogs. The most behaved Pit bull with one incident of aggression can be very significant. Really, we all know that a Pit bull is one step removed from a wild predator. Why do people want to own them. And they don't just own them, it is like they go out of their way to flaunt that their Pit bull is more tame than you think. they do this by leaving their gate open, sitting on the front porch while cupcake runs loose, or take walks with them on long leashes or no leash at all. "He won't hurt you. Its the owner, not the dog." What happens when I go running and I come across one of these people. Cupcake trots along all happy go lucky until they feel threatened and take a swipe at me. It has happened.

If you own a dog like this, get rid of it. If you can't, keep in locked up. I don't think that your desire to have a cute killer outweighs my desire to have my kids play freely in the front yard.

8 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I also wonder why people own these dogs?

bri/uk said...

im from england,the breed is banned here.i dont blame the breed the arsehole on end of the leed is the danger.i own a staff terrier which is coming up to the grand old age of thirteen,he's great with kids but not too freindly with other dogs.its the way you raise/train your dog that determines their nature.

jrchaard said...

I also think that it is how the dog is raised that determines its nature. The problem is that the potential for bodily harm is much greater with this breed. I have been bitten by a little terrier. It was painful, bled quite a bit, but I was well in control once I realized I was being attacked. If it is a pitbull, then it could have been a life or death struggle.

Anonymous said...

It acctually depends on the owner thats y most people r scared of them because if u dont train them right then that can happen i own a pitbull and it would never hurt a fly, well she does get off the chain somtimes but does not ever hurt anyone and my friend has a pitbull too and my friends think my pibull is mean so they never come over what a stupid reason!!

jrchaard said...

Getting off the chain is the reason I don't like them. People can tame lions too, but if you push the wrong button, it will kill you. Even the most tame dogs can get aggitated to attack. With a pit bull, the damage of such an attack could be devastating. A poodle bite hurts, a pit bull bite can kill.

Anonymous said...

Lets ban Negros ( african americans ) in the us - I mean the prison populations show that the percentage of black people locked up is much higher then any other race ( breed ).The disproportionate representation of black Americans in the U.S. criminal justice system is well documented.17 Blacks comprise 13 percent of the national population, but 30 percent of people arrested, 41 percent of people in jail,18 and 49 percent of those in prison.19 Nine percent of all black adults are under some form of correctional supervision (in jail or prison, on probation or parole), compared to two percent of white adults. 20 One in three black men between the ages of 20 and 29 was either in jail or prison, or on parole or probation in 1995.21 One in ten black men in their twenties and early thirties is in prison or jail. 22 Thirteen percent of the black adult male population has lost the right to vote because of felony disenfranchisement laws. I AM NOT RACIST !!!! Would people ban a race of of people as they would a breed of dog ? It would just be wrong you know I know it the world knows it. The dogs are no different

kiah said...

anonymous is completly right i had a pit bull too it all depends on the environment they are raised in my pit was an old fighting dog when his old owner had him he got takin from that worthless fuck and i took him from the animal shelter and he was just fine my 3 year old cousin could pull his tail anything and he would lik her it all depends on the person that rases them so all you other fucks on here that are against this bread maybe you should be the ones baned from everything these dogs are completly innocent

jrchaard said...

I don't think I'm against bread, just any breed of dog that can kill a person. I realize it is all about training and environemt. My little Lhasa Apso could be the most poorly behaved dog while my neighbors pitbull could be an angel, but when my little dog gets really mad, I just brush it aside. If my neighbors pitbull gets mad, I fight for my life. Your 3 year old cousin might be perfectly safe to pull the dogs tail 95% of the time, but the time it is done and the dog gets mad, your cousin doesn't get a nip, your cousin gets mauled or worse.