Monday, December 8, 2008

Albuterol Inhalers Falls Victim to Environmental Movement


This one hits close to home. I have been using an albuterol inhaler for most of my life. I would have to say that when my asthma was bad, it was a life saver. Of course it is a life saver everytime I use it, which is only when I get sick or I'm around cats these days. For any asthma sufferer, they know how important this drug is. It offers immediate relief to constricted bronchial tubes, allowing the user to breathe again. One of the good things about this medicine is that it only cost around $5.00 to purchase, making it very affordable. African-Americans and those living in poverty often have a higher occurrence of asthma. Having the frontline drug at an affordable level is key to saving lives.
It is clear that the environmental movement is not concerned with saving lives. It is about control. If control comes at the cost of human life, so be it. You see, albuterol inhalers contain CFC’s to deliver the medicine. CFC’s are allegedly an agent responsible for the thinning of the ozone layer; therefore, it has been mandated that the delivery method of the albuterol inhaler be changed to something that will not affect the environment. The downside to this change is that an inhaler that once cost $5 will now cost $30 to $60 per inhaler. It is unbelievable to think that we would make this drug 12 times more expensive to decrease CFC’s. Are these inhalers really doing that much damage. When do we cross the line. I believe it is here. I believe that it is when DDT was banned, causing millions to die from mosquito born pathogens.
This is environmental madness to the extreme. I wonder if we will ever hear a report about a person having to choose between their $60 inhaler and food, and having to choose food, but only later to be forced to go the hospital because of an asthma attack. Has the cost of increased hospitalization and death been factored into the equation. It has not. I want Al Gore to have to offer a personal apology to the family of the first person that dies because they couldn’t afford their inhaler anymore. Do you think this madness is justified? What are your limits? What should we do without to “save” a planet that lives or dies regardless of our existence?

8 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

"environmental madness"

..well said Scott!

Spicy McHaggis said...

agreed i think that the entire point of environmentalism is to make money, the earth's temperature has actually gone down since 1985, not up

Rgutro said...

Hi Scott- I came across your blog while looking for info on asthma. I'm 46 and in good shape, other than asthma- I just read a study you may be interested in from Vanderbilt University Medical Center. It makes perfect sense to me, as it links development of Asthma in people whose birthdates coincide with cold and flu season. I'm born in October, and I noticed on your profile you're a "Libra" as well. You may find the research interesting. I've pasted most of it on my blog: http://rob-tom-dolly-franklin.blogspot.com/
Happy New Year! - Rob

jrchaard said...

I have primarily illness induced asthma now. I run 27 miles a week and never have any trouble. The second I get sick, all bets are off. I get winded getting out of my chair. Cats are no good too. It is is an interesting correlation. out of six kids, only my little brother and I have asthma, my b-day is in September, and his in January.

jen said...

To get the FACTS and help us FIGHT to save CFC MDIs:

Go here: www.savecfcinhalers.org

Or here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveCFCinhalers/

or just google: "save cfc'

Jen Lee
The campaign to save cfc inhalers

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

jrchaard said...

the most personal ones are the best ones

Anonymous said...

You are a very smart person!