Thursday, December 11, 2008

Stupid Answer to a Question


I provided a stupid answer today to a good question. To set the stage, think of the movie Ghostbusters. When the ghostbusters are assembled on the roof of Dana Barret's apartment building, they are confronted by Gozer the Sumerian. Gozer asks Ray if he is a god, to which Ray replies in the the negative. Gozer then responds by saying "Then....die", as lightning bolts issue from her hands sending the ghostbusters hurtling down the stairs. Recovering from their jolt, Winstone says to Ray, "Ray if someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES." Very good advice that I have always kept in the back of my mind in case I am faced with a similar circumstance.

Well, in very much the same way, I was faced with Steve the dentist who asked me if I want to be numbed up while they put a crown on. I thought about it and also replied in the negative. Steve (we'll call him Stever) said "Then.... suffer", as pain issued forth from Stever's drill. Internally, I assumed the Winstone character and said to myself, "Dude, if a dentist asks you if you want to be numb, you say YES." Some things you learn on TV, and some things you learn in real life.

5 comments:

5CheeryO's said...

Did he really drill? I had my last cavity filled without numbing... Come on, sweety, suck it up. And that was before I gave birth to twins sans medication.

I am just giving you the "business", babe. Sorry you were in pain. I love you!

jrchaard said...

Yes, he used the drill. I also had a cavity filled without med before, but it was shallow, this was on my exposed stump of a tooth. It makes for a good story though.

Kansas Bob said...

But did you save any money for all that pain?

thejotus said...

Ok, explain to me why you would decline medication? What gratification did you receive by turning him down?

jrchaard said...

Like Ray, I failed to see the gravity of my situation. Why take the time if it isn't needed.