Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Laying Up Treasures In Heaven


What life in heaven will be like is still a little vague to me. Will I spend my whole time worshiping God or will it kind of be like the garden of Eden. I'm not too concerned because the idea of spending eternity with the creator is very appealing either way. I started to think about the concept of laying up treasures in heaven and putting jewels in your crown. Most likely, these treasures will be given to Christ, but then I started to think about the concept of no mourning. I also figured that when we are in heaven, there will be no envy or greed or jealousy. So the picture came to my mind of people standing in line to present their treasures to God. One person may only have a small purse full while another may have a cart. If there is not feeling of greed or envy or jealousy, will it matter to me that my offering is less or more than others. I know that isn't the point exactly. If I do it out of love, and see that others loved more than me, the normal response to failing in love would be remorse. Will there be remorse, as the scriptures seem to indicate there will be none. Is there a class system in heaven. If there is, what purpose is there if everyone is content where they are at? Just some random thoughts.

1 comment:

Kansas Bob said...

I think that the next verse completes the thought Scott:

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I think it is really not about treasure at all but.. like the rest of the sermon on the mount.. it is about the heart and it's motivations. It is like Jesus is saying don't marry your heart to temporal things.. keep it focused on eternal things.