Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Defining Destitute: Today's Grapes of Wrath


Writing this post causes many internal conflicts as I will be judgmental in a way I really don't want to be judgmental. What I really intend is to ponder the concept of destitution as it exists in today’s economy by using one example. This morning on the news, I was watching a segment about charities helping the downtrodden today. The charity had a really good premise so I was intrigued. This charity provided birthday parties for kids that have been affected by the economy and wouldn’t have had one otherwise. What a great way to keep spirits up. The party included gifts, which is where my conscience began to be bothered. Gifts are not the problem so much as what the gifts were. The story flashed to a home whose home was foreclosed on talking about how her son has wanted a playstation 2 since Christmas. Flash over to the child opening his present and there was the playstation 2 he had hoped for. So here is where the judgment kicks in. If you had your house foreclosed on and can’t afford a birthday, is a playstation 2 the best gift to give a child. What about practical items like shoes or clothes or other needed items. Things that the child will like, but will also help the family save money by not having to by those items. This is what has happened in the world of AIG bonus bailout hysteria. Everyone is questioning the choices of everyone else. Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy for the child as he is innocent in all of this. If we are in a new Depression as Obama wants us to think, what would the Depression era equivalent of a playstation 2 be. What would the Joad’s of the Grapes of Wrath be hauling around with them on their way to California. Would it be a steam engine railroad set? What do you think?

5 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I saw a news piece like that one Scott. I guess I was just happy that a kid was not forgotten on their birthday.

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

jrchaard said...

I agree with the cup of cold water, but I wonder if that translates to a Playstation 2. I don't believe that scripture is about making a child happy otherwise there would be no call for discipline. There's a needs and wants thing that is important. Was a need sacrificed for a want.

Kansas Bob said...

I think that I hear what you are saying Scott. What if the playstation was donated? Or the person buying it for the child was just a very generous person? Should they be scolded for being generous?

jrchaard said...

I think it is just a sign of the times. The child got the device through 100% charity, which I'm all about.

Blogger said...

Sprinter - 960