Monday, March 23, 2009

Ma'am

On this 4th day of spring, when the wind howls through the newly budded trees, as the clouds begin to darken and the precipitation begins to fall, I think of my grandmother, affectionately known as Ma'am. Today she passed away and I will never see her again, never laugh with her, or talk about politics. She loved severe weather and so do I. I will never think of another thunderstorm without thinking of her. How ironic that for such a gentle woman, I would remember her with such a violent force of nature. For those that knew her they would tell you that she feared no storms and stood as a pillar against their force. I honor your life Ma'am. I will alway remember calling you Mammy and you calling me sonny in return. I will remember how you used to keep the special soda in your refridgerator, like squirt and canfield's chocolate cherry soda. I remember she had spot on the couch that she would always sit in, close to the lamp, with her stack of newspapers she was reading next to her. I remember she always had a copy of mad magazine there to read, and a chest of toys in the hallway. I remember her gardens and her backyard, so lush with green. I remember my mom and ma'am spending long periods of time saying good bye to each other in the doorway, in the garage, and then in the drive way. I remember sitting on the fire place, that was my spot. I remember her assorted cats and dogs, all of which had character. Most of all I remember the conversations with her. From as long as I can remember, she spoke to you and listened and took interest. She didn't look down on you because you were a kid. She loved to luagh, and I liked to make her laugh. One time Ma'am and I were separated at my brother's wedding to keep from entertaining each other too much. What a treasure she was. I will miss you Ma'am

1 comment:

thejotus said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma buddy.