Friday, June 26, 2009

Pets and Kids: No Comparison


Many childless pet owner’s make an odd comparison between a child and a pet. I’m not talking about people that can’t have children, but your average fertile man or woman or couple. I have several children myself, as well as a dog. Since I can relate to having both children and pets, I can say that there is absolutely no way to compare children with pets in regards to love and responsibility. It is a very naïve thing to say “ I love my dog or cat as if they were my child.” This statement drives me up the wall. You don’t take children to be euthanized when you can’t afford a surgery. It is as simple as that. When you tragically lose a child, you don’t go to the kid shop a few months later and try to buy one that reminds you of the one that died and then forget about the original one. A child is in your thoughts and concerns at all times. You are responsible for raising and loving that child so that it can be a healthy adult. There is no amount of love to compare to the love of a child. Doing these type of comparisons is like watching Saving Private Ryan and then going up to someone that landed on Omaha beach and say, “I know exactly what it was like for you.” I think I would have my backside planted into the ground. And remember folks, it’s okay to love your pets, but it’s not okay to looove your pets.

4 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I have encountered this phenomena on several occasions.. I agree with you Scott.. you gotta be pretty weird to not discern the difference.

Troy said...

You feel that way because you hate your dog - and we know it.

jrchaard said...

Maybe that is the cherry on top of my "don't compare one's love for a pet to one's love for their children" cupcake.

Kerry said...

I looove my dogs and I think it is okay.