Wednesday, December 9, 2009

When Did Alcohol Become So Important


I often have to endure the hysteria that takes place at work when free alcohol is offered during the last hour of work on special occasions. The strange thing is how these people get so giddy as if they have no ability to purchase or imbibe on their own. The hysteria extends even further. The mere mention of alcohol drives everyone to one-up each other on their consumption. It is as if the only purpose for work is to facilitate a trip to the bar or the liquor store. For the longest time, I labored under the assumption that alcohol hysteria was a modern creation, propped up by edgy television, music and commercials. I now believe my assumption has been incorrect. You see, as a child, I used to listen to the replay of old radio shows at bed time. My favorite was X-1 as I like sci-fi. Recently I have been listening to these shows through free podcasts. They are just as entertaining now as they were when I was younger. One thing that struck me initially was just how much of a role alcohol played in these shows. Over and over again, the characters get as giddy about alcohol 60 years ago as they do now. My point is not really about alcohol but about perception of the past. These shows aired just 60 or more years ago. The way people speak of the past compared to the present, you would believe that sin and depravity are an invention of the flower children and their children. Could it be that in a male dominated society, so much of what we call depravity now was considered commonplace then?

The other observation from listening to these shows is that in almost every episode of x-1 set in the future, it is a given that all governments will be totalitarian. Also, we would be making regular trips to the moon by the late 60s

4 comments:

Troy said...

How many carbon offsets do you need to send a rocket into space for the weekend?

Kansas Bob said...

The TV show Mad Men is a good example of how pre-eminent booze was in the 60s.

jrchaard said...

I think I just thought of the difference, back then, it was the adult's going crazy. Now it is the kids.

Troy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.