Wednesday, December 23, 2009


Over a year ago, and even before that, I offered my insight into the Netflix Instant View option. My last assessment was one of optimism as Netflix announced a deal with STARZ to expand their library. I thought that would be the first of several distributors to follow. I WAS WRONG. One year later and the library is crap. Every week, I check the new movies to see what is new. At first with the STARZ play, there were a few options. As the year has gone on, the Instant View Library has grown substantially. The problem is that it has grown with a lack of any decent movie within the last 5 years. It is mostly dominated with indie-flicks, special interest, and bad oldies.
Having children, I would like to use this service to access quality children's programming. Unfortunately, for all of the children's shows and movies made, the selection is terrible. When you consider the absolutely free service of HULU.COM, you must not account for the instant view when assessing the value of Netflix. I have been able to find more movies of value on a website that only lists 36 movies than I have on netflix.
I don't blame netflix. Studios are rebelling against this new medium. I believe the demand is there or there wouldn't be so many illegal sites. They need to come to grips with the internet just as music has.