Thursday, January 28, 2010

LIES IN THE TEXTBOOKS: New Age in 3rd Grade

Ms. Mitchell, handed us Purple ditto paper copies of a “Believe it or Not” pamphlet in third grade. We were to read it and answer questions about it. I was stunned because it claimed that scientists proved that plants have feelings! It said that a lie detector test PROVED that a plant feared a man in a lab coat because he mutilated another nearby plant in this experiment. In my young mind, that was equal any factual thing I knew. I recall the very picture to this day – and for years have contemplated what it said. Wow plants have feelings... My child thoughts were ‘How did the plant see him?’ & ‘Poor plants’. Heck I secretly spoke to my Granny’s plants a couple times afterwards. (I had to quit when I began to mow.) Hate to think what my yard is thinking every time I get the weed wacker!

Thanks to Google I found the primary research for this mysticism was done in 1966. http://www.skepdic.com/plants.html Our class was taught that as current factual data. Heck it turns out Mythbusters even proved it FALSE in (Episode 61: Primary Perception).

So in public school third grade we learn: presidents, planets, and that plants have ESP. Now you have to save the earth or it will hate you.

S.Dogood

1 comment:

jrchaard said...

Even if plants had feelings, I would still enjoy mowing the yard