Monday, January 11, 2010

Movie Monday: Bad Lieutenant :Port of Call New Orleans

I will save you the time with this movie, don’t rent it. I will go ahead and give you the plot of this bad movie. Nicholas Cage is a detective that makes a moral choice in the beginning of the movie to save a criminal during Katrina. As a result, he was promoted to, you guessed it, lieutenant. Of course, as a result of his heroism, he also suffers back trauma leaving him in the kind of pain that prescription drugs just won’t manage. With his promotion and with it being in New Orleans, Cage has access to all kinds of narcotics. What follows is about 1.5 hours of the bad lieutenant getting himself into stickier situations and breaking more laws in the process. Then, I believe director Werner Herzog must have run out of film because in about 10 minutes, all of the bad lieutenant’s sticky situations become resolved. A Mafioso, whom is demanding money from Cage’s prostitute girlfriend(eve mendez) owe’s them , is gunned down in the office of the drug dealer cage has entered into a business deal with. At the same time, this drug dealer takes a hit from Cage’s crack pipe. Cage uses the crack pipe to plant it at the scene of a homicide so that there will be DNA evidence tying the dealer to the case Cage was investigating because Cage knew the drug dealer was responsible. And Cage was in gambling debt which at the end he got out of because of a long shot bet he made, involving the black mail of a football player. And to top it off, the bad lieutenant is promoted to captain and cleans himself and his now pregnant prostitute girlfriend, and father all complete rehab. Only in Hollywood.

5 comments:

Troy said...

Zulubuff Time Savings Calculator (year to date): 6hrs

Your summary was more entertaining than I'd likely find the movie to be.

jrchaard said...

I thought that for bad movies, I might as well list the plot so it satisfies your curiosity. Coming up in the queue, I have two highly rated movies. "Moon", and "The Hurt Locker". I think they will end my current streak of bad movies. I can't wait until spring so I can be more selective of my movies since I will be running outside. Might I suggest renting my favorite movie, "There will be blood". The worst of the movie is that 4 people died, 2 murdered, but it isn't over the top. trivia says that in the UK, they had to appeal to have the rating raised so it would exclude kids because they gave it the UK version of a G rating, which is awesome because without all the junk, they are able to make a great movie. And what is really funny is that it comes from the same writer/director of "boogie nights"

Troy said...

ok - so I just got "The Hurt Locker" from Redbox and will see how they are.

Troy said...

Saw Hurt Locker - dramawise I liked the ending helicopter scene best. Action first - character development later. Lots of cool bomb scenes.

jrchaard said...

I was hoping for more drama than action.