Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Real American Mentor

I just left lunch with great mentor. He listened, shared, challenged and inspired from a biblical perspective. If only others would leave conversations with me as equally inspired. Too many people are narrow-focused and take no other perspective in to consideration. “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise.” Prov 12:15 - NKJV


Today I was challenged to discipline my mind and my talents. What a radical thought. If you have some G.I. Joe action figure that is a martial arts expert you don’t put them in charge of flying the helicopter. Similarly, my talent is my preferred muscle but I must put it into submission, with my mind to have a balanced mind for Christ. That is what I needed to hear today (I added the GIJOE part myself).



My mentor is not the average Joe, I have vetted who I listen to. As my mentor said “We can chat all day and we might even say something that God agrees with”. But be sure to align your council with God’s word and seek him fervently.



I hope you have a mentor, and I hope he is in the word.

(BTW: CONGRATS TO ZULUBUFF FOR THE HOME BIRTH ADVENTURE)

S.Dogood

3 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

Good thoughts! I have been on both sides of the mentoring relationship and I sometimes felt that I learned more from the one I was mentoring than he learned from me. I suspect that your mentor learned soething from you today.

S. Dogood said...

Excellent comment Bob. I think it is just as important to mentor others. I can’t believe I didn’t think to write that. Of course being a mentor can get you over committed easily. You probably have realized when and where to be a mentor better than me.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it