Friday, February 26, 2010

Why You Should Be Happy With Mark Funkhouser

I don't care to blog too much about local issues as they are not very inspiring.  However, I was jolted by a bit of news I heard on the radio.  The current KC mayor, Mark Funkhouser is under quite a bit of pressure for a failing economy, high crime and taxes, and bad schools.  Some of his issues he deserves the criticism, but let's face it, when he won his election, it went against the desires of the normal Kansas City power brokers and local media.  If you remember, his opponent in that election was long time activist and founder of the ADHOC group against crime, Alvin Brooks.  Brooks was the establishment candidate whose only credentials in my cynical perspective is his ethnicity and ability to be controlled by the Kansas City machine.  If you doubt me, did you ever listen to an interview with him during the campaign?
Well, if you are feeling voter remorse, think again.  Governor Jay Nixon has appointed Alvin Brooks to some sort of task force.  First on Brooks' agenda is to get more black cops.    Now, you would think that a man coming from one of the highest crime rate areas in the nation would have some other thought than the ethnic background of the police force, but that is wrong with those that are part of the machine.  They only think about things that have no substance and see government as an instrument of social engineering and redistribution.  (I don't think Brooks is a bad man)
When Funkhouser goes wrong is when he tries to appeal to the machine.  I, for one, would not want to be the KC mayor at a time like this.  Years of TIF and over expansion have left the city dry.   He has no control of the schools, and the overall economy gives him no room to do things like get rid of the earnings tax, which I know he would want to do and would be the best thing for the city.   But now, we have a new school superintendent that "is tired of doing things for the adults instead of for the kids" and will be closing down a ton of schools and firing 300 teachers (This is a good thing).  And we have a new city manager.  Remember, Funk tried to fire the old one before and the council checked him.  Now, I feel it may be too late.  I'm sure Funk will be replaced by another cog in the machine.  So will you be happy.

6 comments:

S. Dogood said...

I do Like the Funk. - Great Point. It looks like your back...

jrchaard said...

I'm back baby. His wife is a flake. I thought maybe it was media characterization, but I have trusted confirm that she is.

Kansas Bob said...

Maybe his inability to get along with anyone and his complete ineffectiveness are just the things the city needs?

jrchaard said...

It's hard to get things done when you don't play ball. Like working with the Dems on health care. I don't really want them to.

Kansas Bob said...

I'll bet that's what you tell your boss :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.