Monday, March 8, 2010

2010 Academy Awards Review: Inglorious Shutout

Since I normally do a Movie Monday review, I figure I would do an Oscars review.  This was the first Academy Awards show that I have seen a substantial portion of in some time.  I watched this year because I had actually seen several of the movies nominated for Best Picture.  I have seen Up, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, and District 9, and none of the other movies, including Avatar.  The winner of the big three awards for screenplay, directing, and picture was the Hurt Locker.  As I said in my review, this was a very good movie, though it didn't strike me as a best picture type of film.  So, while I was a fan of the flick, I was not pulling for it to win.   The other film, District 9, was one of the most original sci-fi movies I've seen since the Matrix.  While it was an excellent movie and I was happy that it received Oscar praise, I also did not think it best picture worthy.  The final film, Inglorious Basterds, was the type of film best picture awards are for.  As I indicated in my review, this movie hits on all cylinders.  Acting, script, editing, score, and risk taking film making in an unoriginal genre.  The fact that this movie did not even win for screenplay was upsetting.  Quentin draws you into dialogue that leaves you wanting more.  How often can you say that you want more dialogue?  With all that said, I believe that Quentin will suffer the same as Martin Scorsese, a career full of high quality movies that consistently gets snubbed at the Oscars, only to find that magical movie, The Departed, that will push you over the top, like a college basketball coach that wins 25 games every year, but never wins the championship.   Oh well.  I was very happy that Christoph Waltz did win for his brilliant performance.

2 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I think that Bastards was the only movie of the 10 that I saw. I agreed with Waltz' nod and win.. his acting was the best thing about the movie.

I have Departed, Locker and District 9 on the queue.. look forward to seeing them.

jrchaard said...

I would probably rank them that way on my queue.