Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No More Moore for Kansas: Stephanie Moore to take Dennis' Spot

To me, nothing is more insulting than for an elected official to be replaced by a family member.  Often times, this is done when a sudden death occurs.  Somehow the logic goes that the spouse should inherit the position.  This brings us closer to the aristocracy of old Europe where title came from family.  One thing our found fathers knew was that just because you are related to someone, doesn't mean you can fill their shoes.  Now, in Kansas, the now unpopular Dennis Moore is looking to pass the mantle of "moderate" to his wife as she endlessly ponders running for the seat her husband will be vacating in 2011.  The rumors have been leaking for a couple of weeks now as they see if the complacent media is effective enough at spreading the word of Stephanie's desire.  Shame on you Kansans if you fall for it.  It would be fun to extend this principle to some highly skilled jobs, like a doctor.  But let's make it a little more common.  Suppose my wife is out of work and I'm a teacher.  I find out that I'm not receiving tenure and may be put on probation.  Instead of risking losing my income, I step down and have my wife take my job, whose only qualification is that she was my wife.  Or suppose I work at a manufacturing plant and have a bad safety record.  I tell my boss that I understand that I have a bad record so my wife is going to take over my job.  It doesn't work.  Of course, nothing that works in the real world works in politics.  Politics is the bizzaro reality.

4 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

Hmmm.. thinking about the name Carnahan.. seems like you folks in Missouri elected a dead guy and his wife served his term.. am now thinking about another Carnahan named Robin. You guys have got no business pointing fingers at God's country.

jrchaard said...

Tell me about it. I hate family legacies, like Bush or kennedy, Carnahan or Moore. Funny thing is that Moore left to spend more time with his family, yet he is now sending his wife out.

Kansas Bob said...

Neither of has probably ever voted for those folks.. oops.. forgot about W :(

Also, you might be interested in updating your Zune at this site.

Troy said...

You mean you voted for GORE?