Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Would You Shoot A Looter

In the wake of the Chilean earthquake and the looting that is now taking place, I often think of the standing order for the national guard in movies to shoot looters on the spot.  Think of that principle.  The idea of being secure in your property is so important that in a time of chaos, soldiers may apply the maximum level of force to preserve your property.  I don't like the idea of having to take anyone's life, especially if I had to shoot some kid for stealing a TV.  I don't doubt the validity of the practice, just my ability too apply it.  Is my attitude a result of the watering down of our founding principles.  In this day and age, our right to property has been replaced with the concept of a lease from the government.  If I can't own any real property without the consent our tribute to the government, then I'm not secure in my property.  Therefore, for me to shoot somebody for carrying off a TV from a store or home is less appealing in that I would be shooting somebody for merely looting the government.  A century ago, you wouldn't need the national guard to shoot looters.  The people would do it themselves, now, even in uniform, I don't think I could do it.

6 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

I understand shooting a looter as a form of self-defense - as long as the TV has a license to carry a gun.

jrchaard said...

What if the TV has a conceal carry permit?

Kansas Bob said...

Must be an old TV.. no place to conceal a gun with the newer ones :)

jrchaard said...

very true, but I could see a gun stored in an exaggerated base. Or maybe the remote is the gun.

Kansas Bob said...

A remote controller lazer gun - priceless!

Troy said...

Just watching TV will kill you, no need for the gun at all.