Monday, April 5, 2010

QuikTrip: From Free Air to Buffalo Chicken Bites

Let me start by saying I love QuikTrip. QuikTrip inspires a fanaticism of brand loyalty I have not seen in any store. What is unique about this loyalty is how adamant people are in their praises when discussing QuikTrip. Anytime I mention QuikTrip, the conversation to follow revolves around people mentioning their favorite aspects of patronizing this chain of gas stations. The evidence of their success is visible all around. They have remodeled their interiors to cash in on their growing business in food products and beverages, which is where they make their real money. Because people stop in for food, it follows that they will get their gas there as well. Of course, which came first, the cheaper gas or the food. I’m going to speculate that since QuikTrip always has the cheapest gas around, that the consistency of cheaper prices is what cultivated the following. But what QT did at the pump extended to the visit inside. I have seen QT’s torn down just so that a larger one can be built. I even know of one that in addition to extending its number of pumps, it actually created a parking lot to handle the volume of customers. I am now going to list my favorite qualities of QuikTrip. Feel free to offer up your favorites or not so favorites.

1. Free Air – Because I am cheap, the fact that I could get air for my tires free is what drew me to QT
2. Cheap Gas – QT always has the cheapest gas out of any gas station around.
3. Fountain Drinks – I don’t know how they do it, but QT has the highest quality fountain drinks, not to mention their variety of flavors of soda, frozen drinks, shakes, and coffee. As an added bonus, their cups are high quality. I use the same cup for a couple of weeks
4. Cleanliness – The pump areas are clean, well lit, and the pavement is always in good condition. The interior is open and well merchandised. Floors and food stations are constantly cleaned.
5. Employees – The caliber of employee at QT is a cut above your standard convenience store. They are professional and well spoken, and the QT counter is always well staffed. If the slightest line forms, an associate magically appears to alleviate the line.
6. Pump Start Card – Since the days of trusting patrons not to drive off without paying for their gas is over, those of us that use cash to pay for their gas have been inconvenienced with having to go inside, pay cash, fill up, and then go get your change. QT allows you to swipe a card to let you fill up first and then pay inside.
7. Food – For quick food, QT has some good choices. For the longest time, I enjoyed the jalapeno smoked cheddar sausage. Now, they have introduced hot dog sized buffalo chicken bites, 2 for $2.00, and that has become my spicy craving. But even their regular dog is good, not to mention their deli sandwiches.
8. Locations – They have friendly locations all over and you know that you are going to get the same quality no matter which one you go to.

9 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

Usually we only frequent Conoco/66 stations because we get an automatic 3% savings on gas using our evil Conoco card that saves us 1% everyplace else. We do stop at QT when we are on a road trip.. if a Conoco/66 is not around.. I had a Latte at one years ago - it was really bad.. but those chicken bites sound pretty good.

jrchaard said...

Yeah, I have no idea if their coffee is good or not, but their Diet Dr. Pepper is the best. I think it is because it is freshly squeezed.

Kansas Bob said...

Found a good use for your Zune.

Troy said...

Amanda LOVEs to get Mt. Dew there. Kids like 5 & 10 cent candies. I have been a fan forever ( but that was when I drank massive non-diet soda). Problems with QT: 1) Sandwich prices are on the rise. 2) Free Air Pumps normally have broken nozzles. 3) Frozen drinks are often NOT frozen.

jrchaard said...

While not perfect, they are above all other convenience stores in all areas.

Kansas Bob said...

Kicks66 offers gourmet sandwiches, specialty soft drinks and 3% off there gas.. well maybe not the food and drinks but the gas is cheaper if you use their card.

jrchaard said...

Since I don't believe in the card, such things don't apply.

Kansas Bob said...

I understand.. but the card does save us money.

Troy said...

Kicks may be higher on the list after QT. (Aint that right Lamar.. RUFF)

BTW: Cards do exist... perhaps you don't believe in USING the card.