Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Homeschool Fundraising: What do you think about paying for books?


Now that school has started for the 2010 - 2011 school year, fundraising time has also begun.   Children will be selling trash bags, and candles, and wrapping paper, and treats to raise supplemental money for their various activities or classroom budgets.  When I was a child, I hated the fund raising blitz.  Of course, back in those days, the child had to go door to door.  Now, the parent does all the selling.  Since my family is not part of the public school system, we do not participate in fund raising, nor do we partake in the benefits of the fund raising.  For that matter, I actually contribute quite a bit more than public school families in that I pay the property taxes that fund these schools, but do not contribute to their expense.  
I pay the taxes to fund schools, but the cost of schooling my 6 children is an expense I alone must pay.  And home schooling is not cheap.  Think back to college when you had to buy your books.  Now imagine buying your books and the teacher's books as well.  Of course, we have more flexibility in choosing the age, condition, and expense of the books, but it is still not cheap.  And I must do this for all school aged children in my house, along with all of the equipment, such as desks and tables, bookshelves…
What I would like to ask, in a purely honest way, is would it be okay for me to do a fundraiser to help cover these costs to my family?  I mean, if society thinks it is okay to buy stuff to raise funds for kids to play soccer, gymnastics, band, football, scouts, and so on, how would my child be greeted at a door if he or she were to ask for funds for books for our home school?  My gut reaction is that people would feel shocked and unsupportive, or think it is a joke.  But isn’t it funnier to pay for new jersey’s for a football team over books.    And since my kids don’t have the chance to participate in those school activities, it wouldn’t be like we would be fund raising for both.  What do you think?



3 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

A homeschooling association could probably sell garbage bags and other stuff.. I would but a box of the kitchen bag variety.

jrchaard said...

Yes, something like a coop, but why not the individual family. When it comes down to it, fund raising for things like this is just a politically correct way of sharing the economic burden, as opposed to just having a fee, they do fund raising so that the fee can be lower.

Kansas Bob said...

No problem with you doing it individually. Your profit margin may be pretty narrow though.. might need to sell about 1,000 bags to buy a book or two?