Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Media From La Drang to Khandahar: The story of Joe Galloway

I was reading a little bit about the battles of landing zone x-ray and landing zone albany the other day and aside from the outstanding valor against overwhelming odds and the the great losses suffered, a small fact stuck out in my mind.  A journalist, Joe Galloway, was awarded the bronze star for valor in the actions during this battle, the only civilian journalist to receive an award from the Army during Vietnam.  During the battle, he took up arms alongside the besieged US soldiers and assisted the wounded under fire.  The significance of this act is that he set aside his impartiality as a journalist and joined his fellow Americans in their struggle.  I don't care about anything this man has ever done or written since, when put to the test, he chose sides, and I salute his actions. 
Contrast this to today's journalists.  In a similar circumstance, I doubt the journalist would led a hand.  Quite the contrary, the American soldiers being covered would actually have to be leery of the journalists intentions.  Would a modern galloway pick up an AK-47 and assist the Taliban.  I don't think it would go this far, but it is indicative of how far we have gone in the media.

4 comments:

Kansas Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kansas Bob said...

I salute his actions as well. Another journalist that impresses me is Richard Engel who has reported from the front lines of Iraq and Afghanistan. He tells some gut wrenching stories of the courage of our soldiers on the front lines and does it without bias.

jrchaard said...

I wish we had more coverage. Maybe the war would be fought a little different. It is far too sanitary for all of us here.

Kansas Bob said...

I think that the main stream media has covered the war pretty well. Not sure about some of the more conservative outlets. I think it may be a bit harder to show the realities of war when you are an advocate of it. Might be wrong about that?