Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christians:Will You Give To A Cause Where Santa is the One Giving Out the Gifts


It is that time of year where I examine the celebration of Christmas with my understanding of biblical principles.  Some may feel it is hummbugness, but I assure you it is not.  It is simply a reflection of my own journey with Christ and is not meant to be a judgment on those that disagree.  So, with that disclaimer out of the way, here is what I am currently pondering.   As you may know from one of my first blogs in December of 2007, I discuss my general disagreement for the celebration of Santa.  Here are a few highlights.

“if Santa is to represent the birth of God's son, look at how he is depicted. I saw him selling cars this morning, he is often portrayed as the drunk ringing a bell with a bottle in his bucket,”

“Thou shalt not worship false idols. What on earth do we think we are doing when we push Santa. Santa centuries ago was a man, St Nicklaus. He has now become a godlike being. We teach children that Santa is omniscient and omnipresent. He sees you when you are sleeping and knows if you have been bad or good so be good for goodness sakes. Santa Claus is an idol in this, we teach our children that he has special powers, FALSE. He can be in all places at all times, FALSE. We should send our letters (prayers) to him so that he can answer them, FALSE. He is now and has always been, FALSE.”

Based on the premise that Santa is a false idol that overshadows Christ in this holiday, would you as a believer in Christ give money or gifts to a charity or church that would use a “Santa” to deliver such gifts, as innocent and fun as it may be.   Truly, if we are honest with ourselves, we celebrate Christmas to mark Christ’s birth.  We give gifts as a “symbol” of the gift that God gave us, and in commemoration of the gifts the wise men bestowed upon Jesus, albeit two years later.   My goal is to celebrate Christmas in a way that gives glory to God.  How am I spreading God’s glory by allowing a false idol to steal the message.  Aside from maybe saying merry Christmas, does Santa offer a blessing to God before giving the gifts.  Does he offer the message of the good news to the little children?  I would say more often than not, the answer is no. 

What we do on this world is about accepting Christ and living a life that honors him and brings us closer to him, for eternity is what it is all about.  One of the charges Christ gave was to go and make disciples.  We do that by witnessing to non-believers.   Is a false idol the best opportunity to witness to non-believers.  What if it were any other day of the year?  What if some guy told you, “Hey, I know you believe in Christ and you want to love your neighbor.  How about you give me the money and I will buy them food and everything else, and I will tell them it came from some imaginary figure so that they have no idea it was a reflection of the love of Christ.”  My thought is that you would find another way to give.    How is Santa any different?  Is Santa the only choice?

1 comment:

Kansas Bob said...

I really don't see that Santa is an idol any more than a Christmas Tree is an idol or a manger scene is an idol. The issue is materialism not idolatry. If there is an idol being worshiped it is probably mammon.

Signed,
A Reformed Santa Basher