Monday, August 15, 2011

The Social Network Movie Review


Timing is often the key in the success of a movie.  Most frequently, timing is a key for a made for TV movie, where a TV studio capitalizes on the headline of the day to make some horrid idea of a movie.  When I saw the previews for “The Social Network”, I must admit I felt the same way.  Why would the director of the beloved Fight Club direct a headline movie.   When it did well at the box office, I wasn’t surprised.  Suckers, I thought.  Then the academy awards came out and this movie received a nomination.  I started asking people that saw it what they thought.  It was a unanimous endorsement, so I decided to check it out. 
As an avid facebooker, the subject matter immediately resonated with me.  I was hooked within the first 5 minutes.  The story of a future billionaire that builds his empire based on a break-up and disdain for row team members, is great.  The portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg as a cold and calculating nerd of the new generation carried the movie.  Justin Timberlake did a great job portraying the muse and former scorned Napster founder.  As a synopsis, this movie covers the creation of facebook and the two concurrent lawsuits of the  winklevoss twins, Harvard finishing club members that hired zuckerberg to create a Harvard only social network, and Eduardo Saverin, the co-founder and early financier of facebook.    If this movie were a facebook page, I would like it and send it a friend request.

4 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

Ditto your thinking for me. I thought the Zuckerberg role carried it as well.

jrchaard said...

I don't know if it was a case of a movie that I had low expectations for, but I really enjoy it.

Kansas Bob said...

Low expectations sometimes have good results. Ann and I like movies that get two and a half stars.

Jimmy Jarred said...

A great film to watch. I saw it two times and enjoyed it very much. The main reason to watch this movie was my eagerness to learn how Facebook came out.
Watch The Social Network Movie