Wednesday, November 7, 2012

2012 Presidential Election Summary

The election results from last night can single nothing but a rousing endorsement of Obama's policies and a democrat controlled Senate that hasn't passed a budget in 4 years.  I'm not being sarcastic in this statement.  In 2008, I felt that the nation elected Obama because they didn't know any better.  While I want to blame the media, that doesn't excuse, what I feel is a lack of responsibility of the people in understanding what Obama has done over the last 4 years and what he plans on doing over the next 4.  The fact that Obama was elected tells me that we have truly and knowingly crossed the tipping point whereby one segment of the population votes themselves a portion of wealth from another segment of the population.  This type of government has come around in the past through force and revolution, always to disastrous results.  America however, has shown its true sophistication by ushering in the same type of revolution without firing a single shot.  I always wanted to vacation in Venezuela or Cuba, but now those two countries are visiting me.

This elections is not without lessons learned.  I have now come to realize that I live in a conservative bubble with very few liberal influences.  In my bubble, liberals are all the folks in the media that sacrifice truth in reporting for party allegiance.  Surely the people see through such things.  But I was wrong.  Outside of my bubble, the people not only believed the media, they wanted to believe it.

I have also learned that the source of information for me only perpetuates the limitations of my bubble.  While I can look to foxnews, the drugereport, Limbaugh, and Hannity to report stories I will never hear in the mainstream media, the opinions they offer only reinforce my bubble.  The evidence of this is in my results prediction I offered on Monday.  I couldn’t be any more wrong.  But not only am I wrong, but all of those pundits that criticized the polls and offered predictions as lofty as mine were wrong.  The polls ended up being right.  

What I am taking away from this experience is going to be a process of change in my life.  While none of my guiding principles is changing, where I choose to expend energy will.  I am not going to engage in political debates.  I am not going to use facebook as a sounding board for my politics and criticisms of Obama.  I’m not going to use my blog as a rant against the left.  What I am going to do is try to be purposeful in filling this void and finding other areas to target this energy.  I would like to offer one final political statement.  What kind of results do Republicans expect when their candidates campaign headquarters is located in the most liberal city in one of the most liberal states for which the candidate was once Governor.   My deep sorrow is that we once again did not have a true contrast between conservative and liberal to vote on. 

3 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

This will be my only post-election comment. Republicans need to stop fighting amongst themselves and find a way to find a way to move forward finding common ground in the GOP.

jrchaard said...

It is beyond party. I don't want to support a party that simply does what it takes to gain power if by gaining power, we simply take a different road to tyranny. That is part of my retirement. The only thing the republicans are going to do is figure out ways to be more like democrats just to get power. The truth is a majority of voting americans want this type of gov, so either the opposition party unifies behind being a sharp contrast to the democrats, or they water themselves down into being diet democrats. I already know which direction they are going to go.

Kansas Bob said...

The GOP primary surfaced some extreme candidates. People may not like it but America is right of center politically and averse to the likes of Akin in Missouri and Mourdock in Indiana.

IMO, the GOP should focus purely on fiscal conservatism and stay away from contraception, rape and other "social" issues that alienate so many fiscally minded people.

Yet, as you indicate, the GOP has been no better that the Dems in this area. The Bush years were filled with Republicans who cut taxes but increased spending. Hard to see that changing now thanks to primary voters who made losers like Akin and Mourdock GOP senatorial candidates.